Life Course Mechanisms of Well-Being in Old Age
In this project we investigate the life course determinants and mechanisms that help to preserve well-being in old and very old age. Thereby, we target the following research questions:
- What are the predictors of well-being across the life course?
- Which detailed processes enable individuals to maintain a relatively high level of well-being, even in very old age?
- Is this universal for all aspects of well-being or does this differ with regard to e.g. psychological versus physical aspects of well-being?
- Does this differ across individuals?
- Which role do context factors play in this regard?
Selected publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Ihle, A., Oris, M., Sauter, J., Spini, D., Rimmele, U., Maurer, J., & Kliegel, M. (In Press). The Relation of Low Cognitive Abilities to Low Well-Being in Old Age is Attenuated in Individuals with Greater Cognitive Reserve and Greater Social Capital Accumulated over the Life Course. Aging & Mental Health.
- Gouveia, B. R., Ihle, A., Kliegel, M., Freitas, D. L., Maia, J. A., Gouveia, É. R. (In Press). Sex differences in relation patterns between health-related quality of life of older adults and its correlates: a population-based cross-sectional study in Madeira, Portugal. Primary Health Care Research & Development. doi:10.1017/S1463423618000233
- Gouveia, B. R., Gouveia, É. R., Ihle, A., Jardim, H. G., Martins, M. M., Freitas, D. L., & Kliegel, M. (2018). The effect of the ProBalance Programme on health-related quality of life of community-dwelling older adults: A randomised controlled trial. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 74, 26-31. doi:10.1016/j.archger.2017.08.012
- Ihle, A., Gouveia, É. R., Gouveia, B. R., van der Linden, B. W. A., Sauter, J., Gabriel, R., Oris, M., Fagot, D., & Kliegel, M. (2017). The Role of Leisure Activities in Mediating the Relationship between Physical Health and Well-Being: Differential Patterns in Old and Very Old Age. Gerontology, 63(6), 560-571. doi:10.1159/000477628
- Gouveia, É. R., Gouveia, B. R., Ihle, A., Kliegel, M., Maia, J. A., Badia, S. B., & Freitas, D. L. (2017). Correlates of health-related quality of life in young-old and old-old community-dwelling older adults. Quality of Life Research, 26(6), 1561-1569. doi:10.1007/s11136-017-1502-z
- Ihle, A., Jopp, D. S., Oris, M., Fagot, D., & Kliegel, M. (2016). Investigating Discontinuity of Age Relations in Cognitive Functioning, General Health Status, Activity Participation, and Life Satisfaction between Young-Old and Old-Old Age. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 13(11): 1092. doi:10.3390/Ijerph13111092
In this project we use data from several large-scale interdisciplinary datasets such as VLV.